7 ways to live a life with purpose
People who have a sense of purpose feel that there is some ultimate reason for their existence and so they feel good about how they are living their lives. But what gives people a sense of purpose is different for different people. Below, we explore 7 things that tend to give people a sense of purpose. Which ones work for you?
1. Social Connection - Probably the most important for our sense of purpose is having meaningful connections with others in our personal relationships, local communities, and/or societies.
2. Achievement - Many people feel a heightened sense of purpose from achieving success or power in ways that matter to them.
3. Self-expression - Especially among artists and creatives, the experience of self-expression can be key to gaining a sense of purpose.
4. Excitement - For some, fun, joy, and excitement are what life is all about and can generate a great sense of purpose.
5. Impact - When we do things to positively change the lives of others, we make an impact in ways that boost our sense of purpose.
6. Personal growth - By working on improving ourselves in any way, we can increase our sense of purpose.
7. Recognition - The admiration and attention we get can give us a feeling that we are valued and live a life of purpose.
What gives you a sense of purpose?
In this activity, you learn to practice gratitude for others by writing gratitude notes.
In this activity, you practice using your imagination to generate happiness.
In this activity, you clarify what aspects of happiness you value most.