Best Psychology Books: Top 20 Books to Improve Your Life
Here are the top 20 psychology books to help you understand your mind (and improve your life). This list will help you decide which psychology books are best for you.
*This page may include affiliate links; that means I earn from qualifying purchases of products.
What Are the Best Psychology Books Available Now?
This year, I've read and reviewed a bunch of new psychology books — books written to help us understand ourselves and improve our lives. So here is my list of the top psychology books that have been published in the last few years.
Although I wont include them in the list of best psychology books (that seems like cheating :) ), I do also want to tell you about my psychology workbooks. These aren't designed for a casual read on a Sunday afternoon. Rather, they are skill-building workbooks to help you better understand yourself and improve your life (so they are super useful and actionable!)
Top 20 Psychology Books
The top books below cover a range of topics, spanning from happiness to connection to networking, and they are from a mixture of authors with different backgrounds and areas of expertise. My favorite psychology books are rooted in science but still fun to read. And rather than using fluffy statements like "You can change your life!" I prefer the books that tell it like it is, teaching us readers exactly what we can do to improve our lives. For these reasons, the following books are among my favorite psychology books to come out in the last few years.
1. Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone
2. Emotional Intelligence 2.0
3. Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core of Calm, Strength, and Happiness
4. Friend of a Friend . . .: Understanding the Hidden Networks That Can Transform Your Life and Your Career
5. Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance
6. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
7. The Stress-Proof Brain: Master Your Emotional Response to Stress Using Mindfulness and Neuroplasticity
8. The Kindfulness Solution: Transforming Your Body and Life Through Greater Awareness and Self-Compassion
9. The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative
10. The Happiness Hack: How to Take Charge of Your Brain and Program More Happiness into Your Life
11. How to Break up with Your Phone
12. Activating Happiness: A Jump-Start Guide to Overcoming Low Motivation, Depression, or Just Feeling Stuck
13. Log Off: How to Stay Connected after Disconnecting
14. Happiness Hacks
15. The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
16. The Kindness Cure: How the Science of Compassion Can Heal Your Heart and Your World
17. Insight: The Surprising Truth About How Others See Us, How We See Ourselves, and Why the Answers Matter More Than We Think
18. The Art of Thinking Clearly
19. Reinforcements: How to Get People to Help You
20. Imperfect Courage: Live a Life of Purpose by Leaving Comfort and Going Scared
About Dr. Tchiki Davis
Dr. Davis is founder of The Berkeley Well-Being Institute. After getting her PhD in psychology at Berkeley, she started creating online content & programs to boost well-being—some of these have reached more than a million people. As author of Outsmart Your Smartphone, and contributor to Psychology Today, The Greater Good Science Center, and Shine Text, Dr. Davis aims to share her insights on happiness & health with people all across the world. Learn more about Dr. Davis.